All files on your flash drive suddenly changed to a single shortcut. This is a sign that a virus has infected you flash drive or penetrated your system. You know what it mean if a virus has infected your PC. All your sensitive files might be compromised or the virus will make your system super slow.
After inserting your flash drive to your computer, you noticed that all your files were gone and all left is a single shortcut. If you ever encounter this problem then your flash drive is possibly infected by a virus. Do not open the shortcut, opening the shortcut will make your system infected too. Here’s what to do:
- Download Malware Bytes Anti Malware or you can download the free version here.
- Install it then update.
- Open my Computer, right click your flash drive then scan with malware bytes. If you already opened the shortcut before, then it means that your whole PC was infected. What you should do is to perform a full scan. Open malware bytes then perform a full scan. Take note that the default setting is quick scan.
- After scanning your flash drive or your whole system, you need to recover your files. Hit Windows key + R then type cmd then click ok. (how to open command prompt)
- You are now on command prompt, type this command
attrib –h –r –s /s /d f:\*.*(Note that f is your flash drive) then hit enter. Wait for the command prompt to perform the command. It will only take a second or minute.
- Open your flash drive, take note that there are 4 files plus a folder without name. Delete all the files except the folder without name. Open now the folder, all your files are stored here. You can rename the folder or reorganize all your files.
Additional security setting that will prevent your system being infected is by disabling running of exe files directly from flash drive. Some antivirus has this feature like the one I’m using.